Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Shepherd's Pie?

10-15-12

  Life has been busy here in the Boro for me. I got busy with work and ran out of honey, so my baking/cooking pursuits were put on hold for a bit.  But I'm back with the report of what I threw together for dinner last night. I originally got the inspiration from a recipe I saw in Sunset Magazine for Shepherd's Pie. The unique thing about the recipe in the magazine was that they'd used mashed Pumpkin for the top of the dish, instead of the usual mashed potatoes. I was thrilled with the idea because it helped me to realized that I don't actually have to use the common ingredients to make traditional dishes. With this in mind, I purchased an Acorn Squash to use for dinner two nights ago. I had some chicken and veggies on hand, so I decided to create my own version of this Shepherd's Pie (and yes, to all you Gordon Ramsey fans, the original recipe called for lamb). So with all other explanations aside, my recipe is below.

Always,
Kittydid


Chicken and Squash Bake
Yeilds: 3 Servings

1        Acorn Squash, cooked and mashed 
2  Tbsp  Butter, room temperature
2  cups  Chicken, (cooked & seasoned) sliced
1        Bell Pepper (I used green), chopped
2  cups  Carrots, chopped (I only had baby carrots, so I sliced lengthwise and halved)
2  Tbsp  Olive Oil
1/2      Onion, coursely chopped
1  clove Garlic, minced
1-2 cups Chicken Stock
2  Tbsp  Almond Flour

1)  Preheat oven to 375^F
2)  Mash together squash and butter in small bowl; set aside.
3)  Place chicken, bell pepper, and carrots in bottom of 8x8 baking dish; set aside.
4)  In saucepan heat oil, onion, and garlic over medium heat, until onion is translucent. 
5)  Sprinkle flour over top of onions and mix continuously until you can smell a warm almond-like scent; add chicken stock and any pan drippings from chicken. Simmer until slightly thickened.
6)  Pour gravy mixture over veggies and meat in baking dish, then top with squash mash.
7)  Bake, uncovered, for approx. 30 minutes, or until veggies are cooked.
Serve and enjoy!

No comments: