Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Using What's on Hand...

10-16-12

  One of my favorite things to do is find an ingredient in my kitchen that has just been sitting there, usually because someone is afraid to "eat the last one", or because it's too small of a quantity to use in one of my normal recipes. With this ingredient in mind, I then scour the internet for a recipe that utilizes that food item and anything else I have on hand. 
  Last night I was craving some bread, after eating the delicious squash soup, so I began to look for a recipe that would use the 1, overripe, banana sitting idle in the fruit bowl. It was quite a task, because most bread and cake recipes I found used 2-4 bananas. At long last though I found a recipe that served the purpose and sounded delicious! My Hubby and I worked together and made this dessert. When it came out of the oven, and cooled sufficiently, everyone tried a piece and thought it was super good! I was so glad the guys liked it so well (although I wonder if they were just happy to have a good homemade dessert again), however I didn't like it so well at first. The flavor was good, but the crumble on top was off for me and too dry. This morning I decided to have a piece again, but I drizzled some honey on top after warming it up, and enjoyed it so much more. I'd contemplated trying to alter the recipe the next time I make it, but decided, that with such an easy fix, I'd leave it as it is. 

Always,
Kittydid


Banana Spice Coffee Cake

Batter:
1       Banana, mashed
5       Eggs
1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
1  Tbsp Honey
1.25cup Almond Flour
1.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted (plus more for greasing pan)
Topping:
1/2 cup Almond Flour
1   tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
1.5 tsp Coconut Oil

Preheat oven to 350^F

Batter:
1)  In a large bowl mix together mashed banana, eggs, vanilla, and honey until all the wet ingredients are incorporated.
2)  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and baking soda.
3)  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until better forms. Stir in melted coconut oil to batter; mix well.
Topping:
4)  In a small bowl, blend together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and coconut oil. Blend until the mixture forms a crumb-like texture. Add 1/2 tsp more coconut oil if the crumb mixture doesn't form.
5)  Pour batter into greased 8x8 baking dish and sprinkle topping evenly across the top. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and then cut into squares and serve.  

Original Recipe Link:  http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/08/banana-spice-coffee-cake/

No comments: